Re: Meaningless name (was: Re: rpms/xchat/devel ...)

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 19:46 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le vendredi 01 juin 2007 à 06:58 -0400, Owen Taylor a écrit :
> >  What we'd presumably like is something like:
> >
> >  Thunderbird Email
> >  Abiword Word Processor
> >  GNOME Terminal
> >  Character Map
> >  Iagno
>
> English-centric concatenation rule that won't work for other languages

Perhaps using a bit of (inconspicuous) punctuation for those languages
would fix:

 Epiphany - Navigateur Web

Or we could have a single translatable item that is a format string for
concatenating GenericName and Name, though I'd worry about issues of
agreement, and I think there is value in keeping the Name in front
for quick scanning.

What doesn't make sense to me is that the Fedora French translation
team would have to, for every single desktop file, individually
concatenate the name and generic name in a linguistically sensitive
manner :-)

					- Owen