Re: Desktop issues discussion proposal

Havoc Pennington escribió:

This is a home user though as you say, not really a current focus at Red Hat. Though we're happy to see people improving Fedora in this respect and aren't going to reject enhancements for home users.

Havoc

Sorry, but http://fedora.redhat.com/ states:
"""
The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from free software.
"""

I really don't see where the "home users" are excluded in that definition.
I've been thinking that the "corporate" user was a target of RHEL, _not_ Fedora.

Besides, many of the latests discussions in this list (rythmbox vs xmms being a very good example) are clearly focused in usability of things that have nothing to do with the corporate desktop client assisted by a IT department.

Really, I don't get the point.

I'd like if for once someone clearly specifies which is the target audience of Fedora, so others can clearly choose if this is a project where it's worth participating.

Please, I _don't_ want to sound rude, but this is the kind of statements that put Fedora as just a pre-beta of RHEL, and I'm afraid that hurts the process.

Besides, if RedHat is going to focus only in the things they care (i.e., enterprise), and want others (the community) to do the rest of the work, then Red Hat should set up ASAP the infrastructure so the community can get more involved.
Because there is no point in having this loooooong threads here if at the end RedHat is going to do what they want and nothing else.

Right now (FC1), Fedora is a very "usable" and general purpose OS. Has this goal changed? When? Why? By whom?

This question of what RedHat wants or not wants pops up here and there from time to time... and even people deeply involved in RedHat has different opinions (or goals). Again, I don't see the point of _many_ of the threads in this list (and the others) if Fedora is going to be "Fedora Desktop ENTERPRISE Linux".

Sorry for the rant, just my 2 cents...

--
Mariano