Re: Standard configuration files

Hello Patrick,

First, sorry for the off-topic, but you didn't tell me which mailing list is the right one. I reviewed all of them and from the topic of the list: "This mailing list is for discussing configuration tool development." I thought it was the right one.

Second, I agree that the task of standarizing the way any software get's its configuration can be a huge task. The point I'm trying to make is the lack of guidelines, much less standards of configuring services from their configuration files. Wouldn't it be great if there was a tool developers could use to configure their programs using standard, human readable, easy to understand configuration files? Most services only need a plain, name=value type file so there's no reason why most of them are different.

Doing a quick review of the configuration files for very common services this is what we have:
Service       Type
Samba         name=value with sections [].
Postfix       name=value.
Apache        name value with sections <>.
Amd           name=value with sections [].
Dovecot       name=value with sections {}, and subections.
Grub          name=value with sections name value.
Spamassassin  name value.

But even for the same service MTA for example, the configuration is completely different from one another: sendmail, postfix, qmail.

You guess is right, I don't have "a whole lot of experience developing configuration systems in software applications", I would say I have some experience. Apart from being a web developer (mainly), I have experience in systems administration, specially *nix. Although I think this is not relevant.

The XML-DTD standard was created to be able to exchange ALL kinds of data, and it does it very well... except for non-structured binary data. I'm sure it can be used to describe most, if not all services' configuration.

The question I'd like to ask you, the experts, is: do you think it is worth? I think it is. At least there should be a guide, or recomendations on this.

Thanks again for your attention. Best regards,

Pedro.