Re: Standard configuration files

On Thursday 08 June 2006 19:02, "Pedro Bezunartea López"
<pedro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been working with Linux for a few years now and one of the things I
> like most about it is the possibility of configuring everything by
> modifying readable text files. This is good but if you need to configure
> several services you may ask yoursel: why are all the configuration files
> for all the services so different? couldn't we come out with a standard
> file format that all services, devices, etc would use? What do you think?
> Here some ideas to begin with:
> 1. It'd have to be based in XML-dtd. Two important reasons, first it's a
> widely used standard, and second it's readable enough... and I can think of
> another one: it can describe very complex models.
> 2. There are already some services that use this kind of configuration
> files: tomcat... there's a place to start.
>
> Any suggestions are welcomed,

First, this thread is off-topic for this list:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PostIsOffTopic

I'm going to guess you don't have a whole lot of experience developing
configuration systems in software applications.  When developing an
application, a lot of consideration must go into the configuration system to
be used.  The developer will generally make a selection based upon their
needs, knowledge and available tools.  Sometimes, an XML solution might be
the wise choice, but there are also cases where nothing more than a flat-file
with "name=value" pairs is necessary, cases where a more powerful database is
needed, and cases where some other structured format or scripting language
might be needed.  The number of factors that must be considered is
astronomical.  Making a choice for the wrong reasons can have catastrophic
consequences.  There is no one right way, and there won't be in the
foreseeable future.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64@xxxxxxxxx