Standard configuration files

Hi!

I've been working with Linux for a few years now and one of the things I like most about it is the possibility of configuring everything by modifying readable text files. This is good but if you need to configure several services you may ask yoursel: why are all the configuration files for all the services so different? couldn't we come out with a standard file format that all services, devices, etc would use? What do you think? Here some ideas to begin with:
1. It'd have to be based in XML-dtd. Two important reasons, first it's a widely used standard, and second it's readable enough... and I can think of another one: it can describe very complex models.
2. There are already some services that use this kind of configuration files: tomcat... there's a place to start.

Any suggestions are welcomed,

Pedro.