Re: system-logviewer redo

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 14:14 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> I'd say that the user needn't know about a distinction between a warning
> and alert list. I'd rather have a notification list (visible and in the
> program logic) where users can specify the level (e.g. alert or warning)
> and when it should be notifying which consists of:
>
> - log files/sources relevant (i.e. one, many or all log files)
> - pattern(s*) to match for which can be search engine like (single words
> or expressions like "word1 AND word2 AND (word3 OR word4)" or regexes
> for complicated stuff
> - probably a description, i.e. a warning could say "database volume on
> host foo is nearly full" when encountering specific patterns, handy when
> you want technically not so inclined people to make some meaning out of
> a warning. If you could use variables from regex patterns to incorporate
> in these messages (i.e. the hostname in the example), I'd award bonus
> points for it ;-).

I like the idea of mergings warnings and alerts into a generic
notifications panel.  That'd require a bit more complicated adding and
editing, but nothing hard.  I also do like making a more featureful
method for specifying notifications too.  However I think that'll have
to wait just a bit.  I'd like to finish gladeifying the existing system,
which will hopefully make it easier for these sorts of nice additions.
Perhaps submit a feature request to bugzilla?  I'm pretty forgetful
sometimes and won't remember unless it's in a list somewhere.

> Another idea is to do what I saw years ago on a system log viewer on a
> mainframe where warnings and alerts have special colors and stay glued
> in the list when they have scrolled to the top and only vanish when
> acknowledged. I don't know whether it's feasible to mimic the exact
> behaviour of that list widget (well, probably "tidget" because it was on
> a 3270 terminal ;-), but we could at least have a list of unacknowledged
> alerts and warnings on top of the normal list.

Scrolling is a source of much frustration right now anyway, as you can
see from bugzilla.  I have done some researching into that problem but
haven't figured out a good way to fix it yet.  In case you're curious,
the problem is that every time it's time to update the file, we just
throw away the previous contents and reread the entire file.  Hence, the
position we were viewing from gets reset to the top.  I suppose some
state could be saved regarding where the viewport on the file was.  When
it comes time to tackle that, perhaps I can integrate some of your ideas
as well.

- Chris Lumens