Switching Keyboards doesn work

I installed FC2 with a German (de) keyboard.
Then I switched to an US-international (us-acentos) keyboard.

Reconfiguring under root via System Settings works for a session, but the change is not memorized. After logging out, the greeting screen already comes back again for use with the German keymap. Also rebooting doesn help.

I used Gnome as well as KDE. Could that have caused confusion?