Re: How to get X configuration from the command line

Hi,
I have fedora core 1 installed and I was having the same problem today
as my Xwindow crashed when I played with VMware.

Disclaimer : I am a newbie to linux and so try these commands on ur own risk as
I don't know if they damage the system ...but I did not have any alternative.

I fixed the problem by finding on google-
1) I went to runlevel 3 and if then run
X  -configure       ( or X --configure)
Then it will create XF86Config.new in the directory that you are
working on ( I run that command in /root)
( Also this command will produce a blank screen with a mouse cursor. I
think then
I pressed "CTRL ALT F1" to go to shell from where I executed this command and
pressed Ctrl C to stop it).
2) Then,   cp XF86Config.new /etc/X11
3) Rename XF86Config.new as XF86Config
(Backup old XF86Config files for safety)
4) run redhat-config-xfree86  ( not system-config-xree )  . You can
find this binary
in redhat-config-xfree86
5) Select monitor , resolution etc. Press OK. Reboot machine.
X windows should run fine.

Hope this helps
Regards
Shirish