Another: Sound card detected but no sound

Dear all,

I already read some questions/answers about the sound-cards on this list,
but still do not know if they also apply to our computer.

Our group just bought a Dell precision 360n, originally installed with Red-Hat-Enterprise.
Everything was fine. However, whenever we peformed "up2date", we got the message:

"There was a fatal RPM install error. The message was:
There was a rpm unpack error installing the package:
dev-3.3.12-1"

Then we rebooted the machine, but could not go through. The following message repeatedly appeared:
"INIT: ld "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."

We then changed to fedora. Now the only problem is "Sound card detected but no sound".
The sound card detection shows:

"The following audio device was detected.
Vender: Intel Corp.
Model: 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller
Module: snd-intel8x0"

But there's no sound when we click the "Play test sound".

Could you please give us some advice on how to make it work
before we purchase another sound card?

Thank you very much for all your help.

Wenge

wengehan@xxxxxxxxxxx