Official proposal for system-config-schedule

Hi there,

Together with Gaute Hope, he and I have created a GUI for the crontab
settings. We have named it "system-config-schedule".

What I have attached is not yet 100% finished. But I can assure you that
every feature that is now in TODO, can be and will be implemented very
soon.

I am already sending you this contribution for the very simple following
reasons:

- We need a location to host these sources, like a CVS. We are hoping
that RedHat can provide us this service? If not we assume RedHat nor
Fedora is interested in our work and we will be forced to use our own
solution for this. Which is not a real problem, but it would be more fun
if we can host it the proper way.

- We would like to hear comments and idea's. We are seeking criticism.

- We would like to know whether or not the current GUI is what we should
focus on. And perhaps some idea's and comments about the GUI if the GUI
is not what 'you' want. (you here means every body in this world who
reads the mailinglist and/or is concerned with a tool like this).

I (Philip Van Hoof) we has rebuild the GUI has made sure that the
application is HIG compliant, that it's very easy for a basic user to
add a scheduled task (much much more easy than manually editing the
crontab) and that the advanced user can still use the GUI for his or
hers crontab configurations.

What is finished:
 - Reading and parsing the crontab using a pipe
 - Showing it in a treeview (much like the samba tool in Fedora)
 - Showing it in a edit-window (much like the samba tool in Fedora)
 - GUI for selecting a different user if you are root
 - Editing a crontab-record GUI in basic-mode (80% finished)
 - Adding a crontab-record GUI in basic-mode (80% finished)
 - Editing a crontab-record GUI in advanced-mode (100% finished)
 - Adding a crontab-record GUI in advanced-mode (100% finished)
 - A build system for usage with pam
 - The po directory for translations (this is ready for the translators)
 - A cute icon :p
 - ...

What is not finished:
 - Functionality for selecting a different user if you are root
 - Writing the crontab (but is trivial to implement, I just have to do
it. When you read this, it's probably done since it's the first next
thing that I am going to implement)
 - at support, but Gaute Hope has some code ready to merge with this
source-rebuild to get at supported. This needs some major rewriting and
stuff.

Shared functionality:
 - The GUIs for editing and adding are the same (much like the samba
Fedora tool)

I tried to follow all guidelines at
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/. If I missed something or did not
put somebody important in CC or something like that: please do inform me
and I will correct it.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org