Re: Up2date using BitTorrent

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 17:29, Carwyn Edwards wrote:
> Carwyn Edwards wrote:
>
> > http://www.fedora.us/pkglists/fedora-1-stable.html
> >
> > .. there is a bittorrent rpm in the fedora.us repository already. Your
> > rpm is of a newer version though. I'd work with the maintainer of that
> > package.
>

> There's also this which I'd consult ...

one more thing worth mentioning:

up2date/yum/apt/$pkgmgr using bittorrent is probably an idea whose time
will never be.

it's not a terribly  good place to use bittorrent b/c of the type and
the size of data your typically dealing with and the time the clients
will be active is far too narrow for those people who have completed a
download. You will  probably waste a lot of development time for very
little benefit.

If you want to spend time hacking on bittorrent I'd very much recommend
looking at making bittorrent suitable for synchronizing the red
hat/fedora mirrors as quickly as possible then more/better failover and
mirroring support in the update tools.

-sv