Re: Up2date using BitTorrent

I'd disagree about updates via BT not having a use.

>From the various comments relating to slow/failed downloads, and the fedoralegacy.org people having trouble with bandwidth usage I'd say that there are a reasonable number of concurrent downloaders, which is an ideal environment for BT.

Given that most people will only download updates from the last few days on a regular basis (i.e. do an update once a day, week, or whatever), it's highly likley that most of the concurrent downloads are for a small set of files.

The paper I sent the link for previously shows how the list of available updates can be rolled up to make the most of BT features. Combined with the ability to tune the size of download chunks it should be reasonably easy to create a configuration which makes effective use of the limited time people are online (e.g. for a 500kb update use 50kb chunks would mean that each user would offer upto 9 completed chunks before their download is complete).

A side effect of the system I have described is that everyone potentially becomes a mirror of available updates, not everyone will be a complete mirror, but the paper detailed how full permanent mirrors would operate (but in a P2P system the concept of mirrors becomes very vague because you can download from anywhere).

I hope this helps you understand my motivation.

Regards,

Al.