Vendor-specific configuration with redhat-config-xfree86

Title: Vendor-specific configuration with redhat-config-xfree86

I'm sending this email to the list in order to get some feedback about a project I'm working on here at Dell. I'm the lead Linux engineer for the Precision Workstation line of systems, on which we have been supporting and factory-installing Red Hat Linux for several years (RHEL 3 right now). Since our workstation customers demand the best-possible graphics performance available, we pre-install/distribute the vendor-provided closed-source OpenGL drivers for our nVidia (nvidia module) and ATI (fglrx module) video cards. One complaint we've had from customers is that there's no easy GUI to configure XF86Config for features such as extended, cloned, and dual-session X displays. nVidia just gives you a README that explains how to configure your config file, and ATI gives you the "fglrxconfig" command-line utility that completely rewrites your XF86Config file.

I've been working on modifying redhat-config-xfree86 to be able write the nvidia/fglrx-specific options to XF86Config; I have the nVidia options working from the command-line, and hopefully soon from the GUI. My question for the list is the following: are these vendor-specific features something that could be accepted into the redhat-config-xfree86 project? I'm not sure what the Fedora stance is on providing configuration for closed-source drivers, so I'd like to get some feedback from the list...

        John

John A. Hull
Linux Solutions Development
Dell Inc.