Re: Vendor-specific configuration with redhat-config-xfree86

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 16:56, John_Hull@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm sending this email to the list in order to get some feedback about
> a project I'm working on here at Dell. I'm the lead Linux engineer for
> the Precision Workstation line of systems, on which we have been
> supporting and factory-installing Red Hat Linux for several years
> (RHEL 3 right now). Since our workstation customers demand the
> best-possible graphics performance available, we
> pre-install/distribute the vendor-provided closed-source OpenGL
> drivers for our nVidia (nvidia module) and ATI (fglrx module) video
> cards. One complaint we've had from customers is that there's no easy
> GUI to configure XF86Config for features such as extended, cloned, and
> dual-session X displays. nVidia just gives you a README that explains
> how to configure your config file, and ATI gives you the "fglrxconfig"
> command-line utility that completely rewrites your XF86Config file.
>
> I've been working on modifying redhat-config-xfree86 to be able write
> the nvidia/fglrx-specific options to XF86Config; I have the nVidia
> options working from the command-line, and hopefully soon from the
> GUI. My question for the list is the following: are these
> vendor-specific features something that could be accepted into the
> redhat-config-xfree86 project? I'm not sure what the Fedora stance is
> on providing configuration for closed-source drivers, so I'd like to
> get some feedback from the list...

I don't know that we have an official policy for these kinds of
changes.  My initial reaction is that the scope of the changes will
really affect whether we can accept those changes or not.

Have you looked at the redhat-config-xfree86 that shipped with Fedora
Core 1?  It has the ability to set up dual-head displays with both
spanning desktops (with Xinerama) and multiple desktops.  There are
still some bugs that I need to work out, though.

Also, note that redhat-config-xfree86 has been renamed to
system-config-display in cvs.  All the redhat-config-* tools have been
renamed to the system-config-* naming convention.

Cheers,
   Brent