Re: front end for yum/apt configuration

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Pieter Eendebak wrote:

> On Saturday 27 December 2003 17:34, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> > Pieter Eendebak wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to include a graphical front end to configure the
> > > repositories to be used by yum/apt? Preferably this would include the
> > > option to get a list of popular repositories from the net.
> >
> > You can already install synaptic. It's in the fedora.us repository.
> > It only works with apt.
> But with synaptic I still have to look up the repositories myself and manually
> enter them into Preferences/Repositories or directly into the configuration
> files.
>
> I would like to see this automated, i.e. synaptic retrieving a list of
> repositories from the net by default. This would save me (and other people) a
> lot of time.

The current version of apt in fedora.us testing repository has a
mirror/repository selector included which grabs the repositories off the
net. However
a) it's terminal based
b) only works with apt (not even with synaptic, never mind anything else)

A generic repository selector tool has been on my todo-list for a while,
but right now I'm basically waiting for the common repository metadata
project to get further, though probably it should support "legacy"
repositories too. Hopefully I'll finally have time to work on the thingy
in the next month or two.

	- Panu -