[Flock16] [Transcription] Fedora Hubs Meetup/Hackfest

These are the minutes from the Hubs workshop at Flock today. I'm sending this out to a couple of lists because I think it's something super interesting to multiple teams, and the summary (I feel) does a good job of explaining a complicated thing into common English. Enjoy!

= = = = =

Meeting ended Fri Aug  5 13:40:50 2016 UTC.
Minutes: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-flock-openqa/2016-08-05/flock2016.2016-08-05-11.33.html Minutes (text): https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-flock-openqa/2016-08-05/flock2016.2016-08-05-11.33.txt Log: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-flock-openqa/2016-08-05/flock2016.2016-08-05-11.33.log.html

* * * * *

#fedora-flock-openqa: Fedora Hubs Meetup / Hackfest - Speaker: Pierre-Yves Chibon (pingou)

Meeting started by jflory7 at 11:33:02 UTC. The full logs are available
at
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-flock-openqa/2016-08-05/flock2016.2016-08-05-11.33.log.html
.

Meeting summary
---------------
* Getting ready / Introduction  (jflory7, 11:33:16)

* What is Hubs?  (jflory7, 11:48:42)
  * Using fedmsg to capture all sorts of activities and information in
    Fedora  (jflory7, 11:48:53)
  * Messages that cross over the bus all involve contributor activity -
    1 thing with a problem (like other projects) is no easy way to
    connect people with teams that are of interest to them and resources
    they need to interact with these teams  (jflory7, 11:50:19)
  * Systems we use to talk to contributors has their challenges: IRC is
    challenging but it's not something most people in the world are
    familiar with, have to get client, join channel, register with
    NickServ, etc. (same thing can go for mailing lists)  (jflory7,
    11:51:15)
  * Fedora Hubs brings together many systems that we use for
    communication and coordination and into a web-based view that
    quickly connects people to teams with people in there and what's
    happening in there (lowers the learning barrier)  (jflory7,
    11:51:52)
  * Use a widget to follow a discussion and writing a reply, monitor
    discussion, etc.  (jflory7, 11:52:12)
  * Because we have fedmsg, we don't need to vent new channels and new
    activities that creates Balkanization problem of new vs. old
    contributors  (jflory7, 11:52:50)
  * IDEA: Opening new views into existing systems  (jflory7, 11:53:12)
  * Hubs is designed to not just be one arrangement, each team can have
    its own hub  (jflory7, 11:53:24)

* What do we want to do?  (jflory7, 11:54:30)
  * LINK: https://pagure.io/fedora-hubs/issue/243   (mizmo, 11:55:35)
  * LINK: https://hubs-dev.fedorainfracloud.org   (jflory7, 12:03:03)
  * LINK: https://hubs-dev.fedorainfracloud.org/skrzepto/   (skrzepto,
    12:06:38)
  * === Widgets ===  (jflory7, 12:10:54)
  * Adding widget to hub: View your Hub in edit mode, choose your
    widget, add it, and configure it on the prompt right after
    (jflory7, 12:12:44)
  * Requesting a new meeting in Hubs creates a new meeting in Fedocal
    (jflory7, 12:16:04)
  * pkgdb: Seeing packages ready to be pushed to stable and other
    similar details in widgets  (jflory7, 12:17:37)
  * Badges: View all of your badges  (jflory7, 12:17:44)
  * Pagure: Newest open pull requests on Pagure tagged with fedora-infra
    tag  (jflory7, 12:17:57)
  * Can also interact with GitHub and Bugzilla (other widgets coming
    from outside sources)  (jflory7, 12:18:29)
  * IDEA: Avoiding silo of communications: Sticky note is maybe not a
    good idea because then it isolates those *not* using Hubs, so there
    could be separation of information that someone may miss if they are
    not on Hubs  (jflory7, 12:19:39)
  * IDEA: WhenIsGood widget, but need to take caution on communication
    silos where it could separate the contributors who are and are not
    using Hubs  (jflory7, 12:20:13)
  * === Hubs groups ===  (jflory7, 12:20:26)
  * LINK: https://hubs-dev.fedorainfracloud.org/designteam/   (mizmo,
    12:21:45)
  * LINK: https://hubs-dev.fedorainfracloud.org/groups   (jflory7,
    12:22:54)
  * Able to have community rules and guidelines in a group hub, as well
    as meetings for schedule and past meeting minutes all from the main
    team widget  (jflory7, 12:23:54)
  * HELP: Need more help on widgets, designing the hubs themselves for
    groups - design team has good representation with ryanlerch and
    mizmo, but we need more input and involvement with other groups and
    teams  (jflory7, 12:25:29)
  * HELP: Packager needs help and input since it's a large group
    (jflory7, 12:25:49)
  * LINK: https://github.com/fedora-infra/zanata2fedmsg   (jflory7,
    12:26:16)
  * IRC widget in progress which allows you to view design team channel
    (a la Facebook Messenger style) on IRC, you can live chat with the
    folks you can see on the hub  (jflory7, 12:27:21)
  * Q: "My personal hub... will people be able to see that?"  (jflory7,
    12:30:48)
  * A: Yes, but plan to get private and public side, e.g. your live
    feed, library widget, things from FAS  (jflory7, 12:31:28)
  * Personal stream in development for saving things from your incoming
    stream for later reference  (jflory7, 12:32:28)
  * === History of project ===  (jflory7, 12:32:48)
  * New Hubs superhero will be sayan for leading the project forward
    (jflory7, 12:33:54)
  * HELP: We need some assistance with the IRC widget with user use
    case, we're working with developers to developers - mockups would be
    helpful  (jflory7, 12:35:47)
  * LINK: https://pagure.io/fedora-hubs/issues?tags=needsmockup
    (jflory7, 12:35:48)
  * === So what do we want to do moving forward? ===  (jflory7,
    12:42:18)
  * LINK: https://pagure.io/fedora-hubs/issue/243 <= scavenger hunt, if
    anyone is up for a challenge  (mizmo, 12:43:15)
  * Q: "Do you have a Vagrant set up for this?"  (jflory7, 12:45:10)
  * A: No-yes? ryanlerch has something he has been working on as a work
    in progress, but needs some more visiting  (jflory7, 12:45:47)
  * HELP: fedora-hubs#243 could use another pair of eyes  (jflory7,
    12:46:59)

* Open hacking  (jflory7, 12:50:10)
  * LINK: http://localhost:5000/designteam/ <= no problem  (mizmo,
    12:52:42)