Re: Fedora bootstrap homepage logo

> Hi Jaromir,

Hi Máirín.

> > Ok, thanks for the clarification. And what to do next? I'd like
> > to find someone from the design team, who could create a good
> > looking logo for our project. Could you please point me to
> > someone, who's authorized to create Fedora related custom logos?
> > What is required from me or my team? How long does it usually
> > take for the designer(s) to create custom logos?
>
> Is your project affiliated with the Fedora project (e.g., everyone
> working on it has signed the CLA, you have a Fedora hosted project site,
> does it have blessing of rel-eng, etc etc) or is it independent? I'm
> guessing yes it is, but asking to be sure.

I had a kickoff session on DevConf three months ago and currently
trying to get blessing from FPC and possibly other authorities
in order to get approval for doing changes in the Fedora sources,
but the guidelines for maintainers are not ready yet and we're
waiting for the first test results. We're really at the absolute
beginning and it's difficult to get attention in such early state.
I consider the project to be affiliated with Fedora a lot
as the purpose of this project is to bootstrap Fedora. And honestly,
Fedora really needs that like people need air and water.

> This status would determine
> whether or not we could use the Fedora trademark as a component of its logo.
>
> I suggest you reconsider the name, as Bootstrap is a *very* popular CSS
> framework and we use it for the Fedora websites, so there's already a
> lot of stuff on search engines for 'Fedora bootstrap.' Maybe Fedora From
> Scratch, Fedora From Source, Fedora Source Test, something like this?

Well, the original sources we are tweaking and wrapping with a testsuite
were called 'Fedora Bootstrap' more than 3 years ago and changing the name
would probably be more confusing than helpful. The purpose of the project
is not just building everything from scratch, but also to help with partial
bootstrap.
Even related rpm macros are called bootstrap and they're used widely in the
fedora sources -> cannot be easily changed.
In the past a project called 'febootstrap' existed, but is now inactive.
Maybe we could make a new word 'Fedstrap' by joining both words,
but it loses clarity of the current name and such change wouldn't make
me happy.

> If it is a Fedora-affiliated project, you can file a logo request ticket
> at https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ - we have a template we can use
> for Fedora-affiliated projects that would be very quick and easy (1-3
> days typically depending on who has time to take the ticket.) A custom
> design takes longer (a couple of weeks or more) as there is a lot of
> back and forth wrt concept ideas and iterations of the design.

Ok, thanks. I'm going to fill the request ticket.

Regards,
Jaromír.

--
Jaromir Capik
Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.

Email: jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.cz.redhat.com
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45, Brno, Czech Republic
IC: 27690016