Re: About nuancier

I tried earlier uploading to the existing election. I tried using ~4MB jpg. It failed silently as far as I could see.

So I tried just now with a small image ~0.5MB jpg. I saw a bullet point appear at the top of the page saying the image was below minimum width. Two things:

1 - Could that error text be made more obvious?  Coloured? Highlighted?
2 - Could image minimums be provided on the upload page so I know ahead of time when choosing the image?

I tried again with the same image as the first time, noting that last time I did not give it a name (assuming the fields are all optional as no indication as to what is required on the form). This time I gave it a name 'test'. After waiting for it to upload I see a red bullet at the top telling me the name 'test' has already been used. Good that it is visible as an error message. Suggestions:

3 - Could that kind of uniqueness be checked prior to upload rather than waiting 1 minute and then having it fail? Or does the filename even matter? If so how - not clear on the page. Could we randomly append some characters if it doesn't matter? 4 - After seeing that error I just changed the name and clicked submit. Problem was the image file was lost on the form and I didn't know I had to re-choose the image to upload. Is it possible to just allow them to change the name and re-submit? If not could it be made more obvious that the file must be re-selected and re-uploaded? 5 - Could the filename be on the left of the browse button? I think web patterns for uploading are that the object is on the left and the action on the right. If no file is selected perhaps some simple text to indicate that e.g. "Please select the file you wish to upload." or something. 6 - Can the page allow multiple files to be picked? Or is that a future feature?

I added some random characters to the name and re-submitted the image. This time it seems to have worked, as I am taken to another page with a bullet item thanking me for the submission (looks like it took me to Home and added the bullet item to the top). Suggestions:

7 - Can it be made more obvious that the upload was a success?

It looks like the first time I tried, the lack of a filename made it fail silently. So I think it is really important that the requiredness of each field is indicated and enforced prior to uploading.

Finally the license is a text field - does it make sense to have it be a dropdown of acceptable licenses? Or is it just the one option? In either case a link to the license descriptions seems helpful. If it is just the one option then disable the text box to make it more obvious the user has no choice (or just make it text with a link to more info).

I hope this is helpful Pierre, before I dive any deeper I'll pause to see if this is useful feedback or not. We can also take this off-list into IRC or something if I'm being too verbose here or I'm being unclear.

Thanks for the chance to look at it - really like how it is coming together so quickly!

Kirk