Re: About nuancier

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 02:09:53AM +0100, S.Kemter wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    2013/12/4 Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>      Hi all,
>
>      I have started to work a little more on nuancier.
>      With the changes that are in the current git, users may log in (via
>      FAS), upload
>      their wallpaper with a corresponding name, license and author (in case
>      the
>      author is not the submitter).
>      When they upload, I restrict the content using the filename (extension),
>      the
>      mime type of the file and I check for a minimal width (1600px) and
>      height
>      (1200px).
>
>    upload should be possible without FAS, we had because of that a discussion
>    on F18. Its just that, we need a valid mail address

We could make it so that you provide an email address on upload and receive a
link to validate the address by email.
But that's quite a larger change.

The wiki page does not say only a valid email address but also having signed CLA
and that I will not emulate on nuancier.

>      Admins can then moderate all the candidates and they must justify when
>      they deny
>      a candidate.
>      Maybe we could trigger the badge at this stage, when the wallpaper gets
>      accepted.
>
>    yes badge should only awarded when the submission is taken, we had this
>    time a lot of submissions with low quality, think that came as they wanted
>    a badge :(

My problem with this statement is what do you define low quality? The image size
is now automatically checked, is left all the trademark, subject and composition
aspects, but two of these three are likely quite subjectives criteria...
Anyway, I think providing the badges on approved candidates is what makes the
most sense.

>      Questions:
>      - What more is needed when uploading a picture?
>      - Other ideas in general?
>      - Could we come up with a list of extensions accepted? (I have jpeg,
>      jpg, png,
>        svg atm and I check them lower case, so JPEG will pass)
>      - Similarly could we come up with a list of MIME types for images that
>      we would
>        accept? (Atm I have only: 'image/jpeg', 'image/jpg', 'image/png')
>
>      Finally, I have the same restrictions for contributing (uploading a
>      wallpaper)
>      and for voting. These are: having an account on FAS, have signed the
>      CLA, being
>      in at least one more group than CLA.
>      I realize that this is already a change from the current procedure, but
>      I find
>      it unfair that people that submit a wallpaper cannot vote for
>      themselves. So I
>      would either stick with these restrictions or open the votes to people
>      that are
>      in no other group than CLA.
>
>    now, we want to prevent that people just signing up for this vote. I could
>    live with an extra group where submitters end up an can vote but open it
>    totally to the public I think is not a good idea. We already made the
>    process more open

Is that really a problem? Do we really expect a jump in participation?
I mean 128 person voted on the last one, do we care if we get 200 next time
because we did not impose CLA+1?
To be honest, I am not sure I mind and I would find it fair that the people that
submit their artwork can vote on it, that, at least, you are sure your submission
get at least one vote!

Pierre