Re: Fedora GRUB2 boot menu, from design perspective

On 2012-06-20 03:24, Dan Mashal wrote:
To further add to my previous email, don't forget about your core user
base. Since you are aiming for the "novice user" what happens to the
"expert/intermediate user base"?

Fedora's core user base is *not* a novice user, whether you mean a novice to Linux or a novice to computers in general.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base

Fedora's target user is:

Voluntary Linux consumer (if you're a novice computer user and just want things to work, you're not going to use Linux.) Computer-friendly (if you're a novice computer user, you probably have a level of fear, not friendliness towardsc omputers) Likely collaborator (if you're a novice computer user, you likely do not have the time or skill set to contribute)
    General productivity user (aren't we all)

Do you just neglect them and they just accept all the changes you make
in order to make Fedora more "Novice friendly"?

No, you're arguing against a state of affairs that does not exist in reality here.

Just shedding a different way of thinking on the matter. I respect
everyone's contributions I'm just making my own personal opinion and
voice heard since that what is so awesome about this community is that
I can say how I feel and contribute my opinion while it may not be
taken as "Oh my god this guy is so right what were we thinking?" it's
definitely something to think about.

Actually a lot of thinking, time, effort, and research was put into the construction of that user base statement and corresponding wiki page and documents. I suggest very strongly, seeing your interest in the topic, that you take a good look at the documents in that section of the wiki and please feel free to come back with specific questions about that document. I do think the fedora-advisory-board list would be a better place for user base level discussions though, because the Fedora Project board owns the definition of the target user base. Here on the design team, we take that document as an input and use it as a tool to create designs for Fedora.

Hope this helps,
~m