Re: [Echo] New guide - Adding new icons

Martin Sourada wrote:

Thanks for the tip :) I just started exploring the area and it seems
there are not many choices :/ In such screencast it would be vital that
the text would be readable and the oggs produced by instanbul does not
seem to be very good at that (i.e. I can read the text, but it requires
a lot effort to "decipher" it). Byzanz seem to record only to gifs, so I
didn't even bothered with installing it. The best app so far proved to
be xvidcap which however records to MP4 (I believe it's the older one,
not the newer and better h264 format) with MP3 audio in MPEG container.

The problem with Istanbul is that is use a very low quality for Theora compression and it has no way to change that. You can use gtk-RecordMyDesktop instead (I believe it does not work with sound, so you will have to record the sound separately, Istanbul used to have the same bug) and leave the quality at 100%. The result will be a much better looking video and less CPU consumption while recording.