Re: Puplet Icons

Nicu Buculei wrote:
Máirín Duffy wrote:

I started work on icon #1 working from the style / color palette Diana has set with her new icon theme:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/NewIconDevelopment

I am not very fond of the animations in the icon, in fact i used to hate the red notification in up2date, it was too obtrusive.

Yeh, I agree. That's why I'm thinking about just having a somewhat subtle color highlight (that does not glow, or throb, or anything!!!!!! it stays put!!! ;-) ) to indicate an update is available. Stuff blinking on the screen gets quite out-of-hand!

As you say in the wiki, going without CDROM will permit sub-icons. I agree about dropping the CDROM, it has no place here, the update is made over the network, not from optical media. As for sub-icons, why not going with the most obvious choices: red exclamation mark for security updates, yellow or orange exclamation mark for other updates, arrow for download in progress, green checkmark for success and red X for error?

Well, I'm thinking arrows for download in progress definitely. I was thinking about arrows in the same style as the 'home' icon is in the folder here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveAndBeyond?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=screen01_28.png

You know with the blue color and white outline accents. Maybe a bit more upright though.

I do have a set of critical / warning update icons I did for RHN (system update status ones at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveLibrary) which we can use. The thing is though, I think what we have are the following, in order to least to most severe:

- Enhancement Updates
- Bug updates
- Security update: Low
- Security update: Moderate
- Security update: Important
- Security update: Critical

That's a lot of different states. :-/

If anybody has any thoughts about what could be used to represent the different icons needed or any ideas on improvements to what I've put up or even if you just want to play around with the SVG feel free!

What do you guys think about the perspective of panel icons? Flat or isometric to match the rest?

I find this question hard to answer. To me the flat icon look plain and boring and the isometric one not very readable at this small size (24x24) - but do not understand me wrong, i like very much how the icons look at the large size (with the 'isometric perspective' as a favorite).

Yeh the lines on the flat ones are a lot more readable at such a small size, but the isometric ones, while more challenging to get nice lines on at a small size are easier to figure out waht they are because you get to see more than one side. For example, I showed the flat update ones I did to someone and they thought the package looked like a terracotta plant pot. :) It's much harder to tell what something is if it is flat.

~m