ext3 on RAID1 gains very little?

I have a software RAID1 underlying the ext3 filesystem on my laptop.

This was using xfs, which took advantage of the mirroring very well, but
that didn't leave me feeling very comfortable about the reliability of
the system; no fsck was not a nice feeling.

Now that I have moved to ext3, I very seldom see the mirroring being
taken advantage of, and the system responds a lot more slowly if there
is disk load present.

This is especially visible when starting a session, which loads three
major applications from disk at once. Under XFS, I got two to five meg a
second of each drive during that.

Now, I see the first drive pegged at around 1 meg a second, the second
drive almost completely idle, and it takes a fair bit longer to load the
software.

Is this expected, or is there something odd about my setup that is
hurting performance?

If it is expected, is this a design limitation of the filesystem, or a
simple matter of programming to avoid excessive locking (or whatever)?

       Daniel

--
If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge.
        -- Henry Spencer