Re: ext3 on RAID1 gains very little?

under what journaling mode you're running ext3 - data=journal or
data=ordered ?

note that if you have mirroring under full journaling, every write is
going to take 4 write i/os - 2 mirrored writes for the journal and 2
mirrored writes for the actual data.

but you seem to have this high load when starting a session and may be the
reads are not giving the full bandwidth. in raid-1, if the reads are
sequential they are directed to only one mirror. that may be the reason
why the second drive is almost idle.

Vijayan