Ext3 File Corruption issue

Hi Guys,
My first post here. I have recently installed RH9 and am having some rather wierd problems that make me suspect file corruption. After some useage the machine locked up hard when trying to use 3d graphics (I have a radeon 7200 with dri enabled). After this happened occasionally the system refuses to boot- it stops at the apm line of the kernel boot process. I tried looking at my hard disks (scsi seagates) with e2fsck and nothing showed up. I also did a scan using seagates st tool and again everything looks fine. I then tried reinstalling RH9 and checked the check badblocks option. It then failed and said that my / filesystem (dev/sdb1) had badblocks. I reinstalled without checking for badblocks and the system refused to boot (again failing at the apm line). I left it overnight and this morning it decided to boot. Is this likely a hardware or software issue and if it is the latter is there a heavy duty disc scrubber to ensure a fresh RH install? Any help much appreciated!!