Ext3 performance vs. Ext2 for synchronous I/O

We are testing Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1. I have a simple benchmark
program that issues synchronous writes/reads to a file. When I ran it on a
file system that was created by default as ext2, the elapsed time was about
5 seconds. After using tune2fs to convert the file system to ext3, the same
run took about 10 seconds. I've tried all three of the journaling modes and
it doesn't seem to make any difference. Thanks for any hints you can
provide.

Greg Steele