Re: writeback on /tmp and laptop?

Hi,

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 00:44, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Wwould the Linux 2.5 (or maybe even 2.4, but I don't dare to dream of
> that) version be able to cope with -W1 through using ordered tags or
> flush cache commands?

In theory, yes, but the code is not integrated.

> Or particularly with tagged command queueing on
> SCSI? The ordered tag (or on ATA without TCQ flush cache) should enable
> the OS to enforce the ordering while maintaining the cache/reordering
> speed-ups.

To some extent, yes.  The trouble is, once you add in LVM or software
raid, all the hardware help disappears since you now have the added
problem of having to synchronise over multiple disks.  A cache flush is
a much easier primitive to push down through the logical-device stack,
though.

Cheers,
 Stephen