Re: writeback on /tmp and laptop?

"Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com> writes:

>> How to check/set the state of writecache for disks in general and in particular for laptops and what is the better configuration when we plan to use ext3 as the filesystem?
>
> "man hdparm".  You want -W disabled.

Wwould the Linux 2.5 (or maybe even 2.4, but I don't dare to dream of
that) version be able to cope with -W1 through using ordered tags or
flush cache commands? Or particularly with tagged command queueing on
SCSI? The ordered tag (or on ATA without TCQ flush cache) should enable
the OS to enforce the ordering while maintaining the cache/reordering
speed-ups. Or are there research results that claim the result is
negligible somewhere?

What has become of the write barrier project?

Thanks in advance,

--
Matthias Andree