Re: Updated 2.4 htree patches available for 2.4.21rc5

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 01:38:38PM -0800, George Garvey wrote:
> http://thunk.org/tytso/linux/extfs-2.4-update/extfs-update-2.4.21rc5
> to 2.4.21-pre5-ac1, which also has linux-abi-2.4.18.0 and lm_sensors
> applied to it. I first undid the previous htree and fix patches.
>    The result was a system that went slower and slower and eventually
> took several minutes to redraw X and finally died. Wouldn't even respond
> to networking from other systems. Turned computer of and on and it
> happened two more times. Went back to previous kernel, no problems.
>    Don't see anything from syslog (except annoying 'VFS: brelse: Trying
> to free free buffer' which has been there seemingly forever).

Um, that's interesting.  I'm using a stock 2.4.21-pre5 kernel with
EVMS, Freeswan, Tivo partition, and the ext2fs-update patches
installed on my laptop, and it's working just fine for me.

Also, the brown-paper bag fix (bogus staticly declared variable that
really should have been an automatic) which has been reported (with at
least one additional confirmation) to fix the brelse: trying to free
free buffer problem on 2.5 is included in the patchset.  So I'm
surprised that you were still seeing that message after you applied
the patchset.

Are you sure you integrated in the patchset corectly?  Would you be
willing to try the extfs-update patch against a stock 2.4.21-pre5
kernel?

						- Ted