Re: Updated 2.4 htree patches available for 2.4.21rc5

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 08:13:42AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I've backported all of the bugfixes to the 2.5 dxdir/htree patches to
> 2.4, and have created a new set of patches for Linux 2.4.21rc5.  At this
> point it *looks* like we've fixed all of the htree bugs that people have
> reported, including the brelse bug, the memory leak bugs, and the NFS
> compatibility problems.

   Applied
http://thunk.org/tytso/linux/extfs-2.4-update/extfs-update-2.4.21rc5
to 2.4.21-pre5-ac1, which also has linux-abi-2.4.18.0 and lm_sensors
applied to it. I first undid the previous htree and fix patches.
   The result was a system that went slower and slower and eventually
took several minutes to redraw X and finally died. Wouldn't even respond
to networking from other systems. Turned computer of and on and it
happened two more times. Went back to previous kernel, no problems.
   Don't see anything from syslog (except annoying 'VFS: brelse: Trying
to free free buffer' which has been there seemingly forever).
   When I tried the previous htree patches, had problems with Orlov
applied. Haven't tried removing Orlov this time.
   Willing to try things in off times, or give more info about system if
requested.