Re: Partition Check.......

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 18:44, Roberto Albanese wrote:

> I had an old linux version installed and i tried to update with a new kernel
> to have 2 available versions of linux OS. Before all i had only 1 partition
> and after the new kernel installation too
> I used Lilo configuration to switch between the 2 boot possibility.
> But after i installed the 2.4.19 kernel i had the problem in boot:
> when the boot sequence arrived to "partition check.... hda    " the system
> waits...
>
> Then i decided to erase all and install the RedHat 8.0.
> Checking Partitions:
>     hda:
> (And it stops here ...)     The same problem!!!

Looks like a problem in the IDE layers which affected kernels of that
vintage when driving a few specific IDE controllers.  I had a system
here which showed those hangs too.

Booting with the linux kernel option "ide=nodma" is usually a workaround
for that.  Once you've done that, you should be up and running, albeit
more slowly than if DMA was working.  You should then be able to try an
errata kernel or grab an uptodate -ac kernel to see if the newer IDE
drivers fix the problem for you.

Cheers,
 Stephen