Re: XFS vs. ext3

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:08:49PM -0700,
Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2003  10:00 -0500, Andrew Klaassen wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:20:30PM +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > > Is a dropped frame equivalent to a missing file, or a
> > > corrupt file or a hole within a file?
> >
> > A dropped frame is equivalent to a partially written file.
> >
> > The application appears to be encountering an error or a
> > disconnect partway through writing a frame/file.  It then
> > immediately moves on to writing the next frame/file in the
> > sequence, leaving a partially written frame/file on the
> > server.
>
> Did you ever get any errors on the server or client at all, or
> does the application maybe not report the error and just
> silently fail and go on to the next frame?

The application reported errors like so:

info: rendering frame 5
info: frame 5 rendered in 30.485s
info: rendering frame 6
error: //N/N/fred1/stress/out.0005.cin: Invalid argument
info: frame 6 rendered in 100.719s
info: rendering frame 7
info: frame 7 rendered in 32.718s

Silly me... I didn't look in the server logs for any errors
before I blew everything away (I'm interested in testing RAID4
vs. RAID5 for performance, too).  But hopefully I'll get around
to testing everything again, and I'll look at the server logs.
I'm compiling a stock 2.4.20 kernel as I type; I've been asked
to test JFS and reiserfs as well.

Any other stats I should be logging?

Andrew Klaassen