Re: EXT3 and disk write back cache

Hi,

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 22:39, Robert Liu wrote:

> I have a few questions regarding EXT3 and disk write back cache:
>
> 1.	Will random power cycle cause data/metadata corruption on EXT3 running on
> a hard disk with write back cache enabled?

It might, unless the write-back caching still preserves the write
ordering.

> 2.	Will random power cycle cause EXT3 corruption when running on top of an
> md RAID5 device with disk write back cache enabled?

Software RAID5 will *increase* your sensitivity to writeback caching
effects, not reduce it.

> 3.	I understand Linux supports write barrier for IDE disks, does EXT3
> utilize write barrier?  If so, will write barrier work for EXT3 running on
> top of an md device?

There have been patches proposed for barriers, but none that work on an
md device, and they aren't in 2.4 at present.

Cheers,
 Stephen