RE: EXT3 and disk write back cache

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the responses.  We have seen file system corruptions when we
conduct power cycling experiments.  Your feedback confirmed our findings.

We have developed a Linux software RAID5 technology, called SR5, which
guarantees that block writes to the disk array are ordered even if disk
write back cache is enabled.  SR5 provides the following guarantee: suppose
blocks are written by an application in the order B_i, B_{i+1}, B_{i+2}, ...
to the block device exposed by SR5; upon recovery after an unclean shutdown,
if SR5 declares B_j as the last block written to disk media, then it is
guaranteed that block B_{j-1}, B_{j-2},... were already on the disk media.

We have performed extensive random power cycling experiments with EXT3 and
ReiserFS mounted on our SR5 device with disk write back cache on. The file
systems were not corrupted in these experiments.

You can learn more about SR5 at http://sr5tech.com.

Thanks,
Rob
Boon Storage Technologies, Inc.