Re: problem using ext3 on root fs

Thanks for your quick response, Juri!

However, I'm not quite satisfied with your explanation. First of
all, I did declare the root fs as being of type ext3 in my
/etc/fstab (should of course have mentioned that), like so:

/dev/discs/disc0/part1	/		ext3	rw,noauto	0 1

And as to disabling periodic checks using the '-c' or '-i' options
to tune2fs, here's a qoute from the man page:

  You  should  strongly  consider  the  consequences  of  disabling
  mount-count-dependent  checking entirely.  Bad disk drives, cables,
  memory, and kernel bugs could all corrupt a filesystem without
  marking the filesystem dirty or in error. If you are using journaling
  on  your  filesystem,  your filesystem  will  never  be  marked dirty,
  so it will not normally be checked.  A filesystem error detected by
  the kernel will still force an fsck on the next reboot, but it may
  already be too late to prevent data loss at that point.

If I do not get this wrong, it means that no checks will be performed
just because the maximum mount count has been exceeded, if jounaling
is in effect. So this contradicts your explanation, or doesn't it?

greetings,
tk

Thomas Koeller
thomas@koeller.dyndns.org