Re: problem using ext3 on root fs

Thomas Koeller wrote:
> Hi,

> I just converted all my hard disk filesystems from ext2 to ext3.
> This worked perfectly fine for all non-root fs, but I am having
> trouble converting the root fs, too. Here's what I did:

> 3. Added 'rootfstype=ext3' to the kernel arguments in lilo.conf
>    and of course ran lilo.

AFAIK you don't need this. If ext3 is build into the kernel it should try
ext3 before ext2.

> Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=normal ro root=301 rootfstype=ext3 1
> <lines deleted>
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
>
> which seems to indicate that the fs is actually recognized as
> ext3.

Yup.

> In my startup script, I later invoke e2fsck on the root fs
> before re-mounting it with r/w access. At this point, e2fsck tells
> me that the maximum mount count has been exceeded and checks the
> file system, which should not happen with journalling in effect.

Sure, it should happen. If you don't want that use 'tune2fs -c0' or
'tune2fs -i0' to alter/disable this.

> Then, after the system has been fully booted, I issue a 'mount' command and
> get:
>
> ~ $ mount
> /dev/discs/disc0/part1 on / type ext2 (rw)
>
> So, while all my non-root file systems are correctly recognized as
> ext3, the root fs appears to be mounte as ext2. The contents of
> /proc/mounts, however, look differently:
>
> ~ $ cat /proc/mounts
> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> Is anybody able to explain those apparent inconsistencies?

This is perfectly normal. /proc/mounts is authorativ.
I assume you still have declared your rootfs as ext2 in your /etc/fstab.
Change that and /etc/mtab (where mount gets its information from) will be
correct after the next boot (Uh, oh, I can't remember the exact
dependencies between rootfs, mount and /etc/mtab - List to the rescue).

Regards,
Juri