problem using ext3 on root fs

Hi,

I just converted all my hard disk filesystems from ext2 to ext3.
This worked perfectly fine for all non-root fs, but I am having
trouble converting the root fs, too. Here's what I did:

1. rebuilt my kernel (2.4.20, x86) with ext3 support linked in
   statically - no module.

2. Added a journal file to my root fs using 'tune2fs -j'.

3. Added 'rootfstype=ext3' to the kernel arguments in lilo.conf
   and of course ran lilo.

During startup, my kernel emits the following lines:

Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=normal ro root=301 rootfstype=ext3 1
<lines deleted>
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

which seems to indicate that the fs is actually recognized as
ext3. In my startup script, I later invoke e2fsck on the root fs
before re-mounting it with r/w access. At this point, e2fsck tells
me that the maximum mount count has been exceeded and checks the
file system, which should not happen with journalling in effect.
The check does not detect any errors, and I remount the fs with
r/w access, which produces the following lines:

EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ide0(3,1), internal journal

Then, after the system has been fully booted, I issue a 'mount' command and
get:

~ $ mount
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/data/usr on /usr type ext3 (ro)
/dev/data/opt on /opt type ext3 (ro)
/dev/data/home on /home type ext3 (rw)

So, while all my non-root file systems are correctly recognized as
ext3, the root fs appears to be mounte as ext2. The contents of
/proc/mounts, however, look differently:

~ $ cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
/dev/data/usr /usr ext3 ro 0 0
/dev/data/opt /opt ext3 ro 0 0
/dev/data/home /home ext3 rw 0 0

Is anybody able to explain those apparent inconsistencies? I
am using both devfs and LVM.

tk
--
Thomas Koeller