Re: All data gone AWOL

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:03:05AM +0000, Ian Leonard wrote:

> On 2002.11.04 09:51 chrisl@vmware.com wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 11:55:01AM +0000, Ian Leonard wrote:
> >>
> >> I guess we have build/rebuild a hundred systems or so and this
> >> has been reported once before. We are at the latter stages of a
> >> development project so there is lot of abuse going on. I seem
> >> to be the only one knows about the shutdown command.
> >> Given that it was a power outage, it is possible that the power
> >> failed again at a crucial stage. Also, as far as I know it shouldn't
>
> Thanks for looking. It is possible that fsck was run by one of the
> engineers
> but it may have been run automatically on reboot. I'll request that should

And also a lot of "y" key have been pressed during fsck. fsck will prompt
for confirm before it reconnect the inode to /lost+found.

> it occure again, the disk is left alone.
>
> Do you think that this is an ext3 problem or just one of those things that
> happen from time to time?

I can't really tell right now. After power off and power on, your disk
was good enough to run the fsck at it's first boot up. I havn't figure
out what happen later on. If ext3 journal recover successfully, fsck
will not run on this disk at all. Your disk either:
1) have some error already and ext3 mark the file system need fsck
   on next boot.
2) Your file system mount/time counter happen reach some limit and
   fsck decide need to kick in.

Is that any chance you have a bad disk out there? I assume you didn't
use htree and did not run fsck to pack directory.

Chris