All data gone AWOL

Hi,

We have been using ext3 with numerous machines and they
take quite a bit of abuse without incident. This morning I
got a call to say that a power cut had rendered one box unbootable.

Investigations revealed that the /boot partition was in good order.
An fsck of / also showed things to be well - except that the partition
was completely empty - except for /lost+found.

It might appear that some one had created a new filesystem on it.
However no one at that office would know how. Someone commented
that this had happened before but not reported.

I am perplexed, and struggle to believe it's an ext3 problem. Anyone seen
anything like this before?

TIA.

--
Ian Leonard
eMail: ileonard@ntlworld.com

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.