Re: Recover Partition

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 04:33:18PM +0800, Julian Gomez wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>
> I've actually managed to recover over 250++ emails from a hdd which got
> completely zonked -- the machine was an email server not under any
> particular moderate load even. The same HDD had been in use for over 2
> years and had under gone 2 separate reformats (both ext2). [1]

How did it die? If it's a spindle failure, then dropping them or freezing
them can free up the spindle and buy you a bit more life. I've got two old
full-height 1GB Hitachis in a DECsystem 5000/240 (NetBSD, not Linux) that
bit the dust and refused to spin up, but after dropping them from about
40cm over a hard-wood floor they started working again. I suspect the
platters or the heads were damaged either in the drop or from age, because
I started getting bad sectors after a couple weeks, but that was enough
time to pull the important data off.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@attglobal.net)