Re: Recover Partition

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

I've actually managed to recover over 250++ emails from a hdd which got
completely zonked -- the machine was an email server not under any
particular moderate load even. The same HDD had been in use for over 2
years and had under gone 2 separate reformats (both ext2). [1]

When I did the whole "strings /dev/hda2" and went through separate 1
million line parsed output I even got to see full jpeg emails from July
2000 intact -- a good 2 years back of consistent data. "strings" coughed
up 5Gb of data out of an 8Gb hdd which was barely reaching 8% utilization
however.

[1] 250++ emails out of 7.5 million lines afterwhich I stopped.

P.S
I don't recommend it to anyone which wants to preserve sanity :-)

(snip)