2GB of Waste? How can it be?

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:40:47AM -0800, IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R wr=
ote:
> Dr. Tweedie, et al.:
>=20
> 	In the instant case, I am creating a filesystem for /home
> directories, thus, a 5% reservation for root is not needed here, so I
> shall take your advice and return it to the general free space pool.

That's probably not a good idea. The space is used as a buffer against
filling filesystems completely, and also as a way to significantly reduce
fragmentation. I would leave it at 5% if I were you.
=20
> 	Why cannot ext2/ext3 allocate inode space on a dynamic basis?

Not quite certain about that. If you want a good filesystem for handling
large files that also dynamically allocates inodes, I would try SGI XFS.
You can download the kernel patches from http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs.

> 	More importantly why is it not possible to amend the number of
> inodes an ext2/ext3 filesystem has after the point of doing an mke2fs?

That requires changing very sensitive data, and could easily result in data
corruption. You'd also increase fragmentation.
=20
> 	One other question, as well:
>=20
> 	I modified my RedHat installation to boot up using a root
> filesystem of ReiserFS, but when I try to use devfs=3Dmount along with an
> initrd, it seems to give me some errors (initrd=3D something or other
> error, I will write it down next time). Any ideas?

I will need to see the error first.
=20
> 	What command do I give to tune2fs to change the space
> reservation percentage?

man tune2fs(8) reveals the -m switch.

> 	Also, I noticed that if I turn on ext3 journaling, I can no
> longer resize the partition with partition magic. So I am curious, how I
> can completely revert an ext3 partition back to ext2 (temporarily) so I
> can resize it, and then make it ext3 again. Is there a command line
> parameter for tune2fs which will reverse a "tune2fs -j"?

All you have to do is delete the .journal file in the root of the
filesystem. Note the root of the filesystem, and not the root directory.
=20
--=20
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@attglobal.net)

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM