2GB of Waste? How can it be?

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:05:48AM -0800, IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> Dr. Tweedie, et al.:
>
> 	I recently formatted a partition using EXT3, and after a "df -h"
> I get 14GB of space. When I reformatted the partition with ReiserFS, and
> did a "df -h" I got 16GB of space!

ext3 uses exactly the same rules as ext2 here.  By default, 5% of the
filesystem is "reserved" for root --- tune2fs can modify that.  There
is also the fact that ext2 and ext3 preallocate space for inodes: if
you expect only to have a few large files, "mke2fs -i" can be used to
reduce the amount of inode space preallocated.

> 	Now the partition was setup to be 16GB via fdisk, so 16GB is
> correct. However, why does EXT3 loose 2GB of space?

It doesn't --- the space is just reserved, either for root access or
for the inode data structures.  reiserfs also needs space for data
structures analagous to inodes, but it allocates that space
dynamically so you don't see it on a newly-created filesystem.

> The journals cannot
> be that big!?!

No, they should only be a few tens of MB at most.

Cheers,
 Stephen