What to do? Error:(Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.)

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 03:30:38PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> > This is why sometimes people will simply replace a disk on a drop of
> > the hat as soon as they start seeing soft errors (i.e., warnings from
> > the disk that there were read errors that were correctable using ECC),
> > never mind the hard errors which you're clearly seeing here.  Their
>
> Actually, quick follow up question.  If any, where should I see soft errors,
> or hard errors reported?  I am on a stock redhat 7.2 install.

Soft errors tend to be dealt with silently in the hard disk.  Smartctl
can help report that.  Anything else will be in /var/log/messages.

> Is it feasible that the hard errors I noted *could* have been caused by a
> hard freeze on a machine running ext3.  Partial writes, etc?

No, that shouldn't ever cause a disk sector to fail.  There are some
modern IBM drives which are reported to leave unremapped bad sectors
behind if power fails at the wrong moment, though.

--Stephen