Slightly OT: 3ware cards

Slightly OT, but this looks like a good place to find a lot of disk
controller experience.  Since I need to swap out some dodgy hardware anyway,
I am thinking about upgrading to one of the 4 port 3ware IDE RAID cards.  It
will only be in a 2 disk mirror config, however, I am hoping that it will
give a nice speed boost

Any thoughts on compatibility with dual cpu machines? Any one have any
anecdotes on stability or compatability?  Are there any pros or cons of
going up or down the range, ie older 32 bit PCI is much less money, driver
compatability, etc

Also, any special config of this card needed for best performance under
ext3? (probably not?)

Thanks,

Ed W