"busy hang" on e2fsck (on a ext3 partition)

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 11:46:50AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > This was with e2fsck 1.27, but I believe the progress bar locked at 70.=
6%.
> > The little spinner also stopped.  I'll have to run it again to make
> > sure; I'll do that once the e2image dump finishes.
>=20
> Something really obvious to look at, which I should have mentione
> earlier: You may want to check your kernel log files, or dmesg, right
> after e2fsck hangs, and see if the device driver is reporting any
> errors.  This could just be a simple bad block hardware problem.

There wasn't anything in the kernel logs or dmesg output; that was the
first place I looked.   But in any case, the filesystem is on a Promise
SX6000 hardware RAID5 controller; and that thing would complain loudly
(literally) if something was wrong. =20

http://www.shafntet.org/~pizza/b0rked.img.bz2

The compressed file is 71 megs -- just to re-iterate, the filesystem is
some 450 or so gigs, and this image is raw..

And e2fsck 1.28-WIP-0817 freezes at the 70.3% mark, in pass2, of course.

 - Pizza
--=20
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza@f*cktheusers.org
I'm not broke, but I'm badly bent.                         ICQ #1318344
Patience comes to those who wait.                         Melbourne, FL

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf--