Problems with ext3

Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> I continue in an vicious circle: I could not umount /dev/hdb2 from my
> mountpoint /disk2. I get always a message: divice is busy.

That's because it is.  It's your root filesystem, after all -- if you could
umount it, you wouldn't have anything accessible.

What you can try is to pass the "-r" option to umount (man umount for details),
so that if it can't umount the filesystem, then it remounts it read-only
instead.  Then the needs_recovery flag should get cleared.

But as soon as the FS is mounted read-write (or perhaps as soon as a write
occurs, I'm not sure on that as I'm not familiar with the ext3 code itself), the
flag gets set so that *if* a shutdown occurs without a clean umount (if, say,
the power goes out), the FS will get checked on next bootup.  You can't predict
a power outage, so the flag needs to be set pretty much all the time.  It's normal.

 > What means that the system is always under
> recovery conditions !

Well, sort of, but not quite.  The filesystem is always in a state that *if*
something happened and it wasn't cleanly umounted, it would check as soon as you
booted the next time, and recovery would happen.

Hope this helps.