Is this ext3 or bad drive sectors problem?

Thanks for the reply. In single user mode, I ran e2fsck -y /dev/hda7 and it
conveyed me message
Pass 1: Checking inodes, block, and sizes
Error reading block 5684 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.  Ignore error<y>?

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: xxxx
Pass 4: xxxx
/: 17466/130560 files (0.3% non-contigous) 87516/522081 blocks

I did poweroff and system rebooted fine. To make sure system is all fine, I
rebooted again and started getting problem of:
Checking root filesystem
/ contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Error reading block 5684 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
     (i.e., without -a or -p options)

*** An error occured during the file system check.
*** Droping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

I will appreciate for your response...

BTW: I have purchased new Maxtor drive too but wanted to give a shot with my
old drive before I install new drive.
Does anybody know what will be the best way to install this new drive? Can I
make use of my so called corrupted drive seems like?
Thanks,
Lav