How to decide mode and journal size?

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 02:23:01PM +0200, Diego SANTA CRUZ wrote:
> How is this affected if there are several ext3 filesystems mounted? Can
> all journals be resident in memory at a time?
>
> I have 5 ext3 filesystems, 4 of them with a 32MB journal, and one with a
> 1MB journal (small /boot partition). Does this mean that I can have 129
> MB of memory used by the ext3 journals?

No more than 1/4 of the journal should be pinned in memory at any one
time in the worst case.  Also, no more than 5 seconds' worth of
journaled fs IO should be pinned.

> Since this is a laptop (256 MB)

Laptops invariably have slow disks, and 5 seconds of disk write even
with data=journal is not going to approach 256MB even closely.  In the
default journal modes, only a tiny fraction of that is likely to be
pinned.

Cheers,
 Stephen