How to decide mode and journal size?

On Apr 03, 2002  17:44 +0900, morishima@dtts.co.jp wrote:
> I am using it for file-server, mail-spool, print-server, and nfs-server.
> Many clients are accessing to it. Then latency is more important feature.
>
> Huuum.
> I decided that mode=orderd is the best choce.  :-)
>
> How about a journal size?
> Default value is the best choice?

If you are using it for mail spool and NFS server, then you are best off
to use data=journal.  That is because NFS and mail both do a lot of sync
I/O, and data=journal does sync I/O fastest (although it slows down
other I/O if the system is very busy).

If you are going to use data=journal, then you want a larger journal
than the default size.  The actual size depends on your largest amount
of I/O within 5 seconds, so 128-256 MB would be OK for that.  If you are
going to use data=ordered (default mode) then a smaller journal is OK.
You will only need to store metadata in the journal, so the default size
of 32MB is probably still OK.  Note that it is possible for the entire
journal to be pinned in memory, so if you make the journal too large,
you may have memory problems.

Cheers, Andreas